Saturday 5 October 2013

TO KNEEL OR NOT TO KNEEL?

Before I begin this write up, you guys should know that am what you call a wedding "ogler" don't know if that's even a word... anyway for those of you wondering, to ogle means to look at amorously simply put, it means to stare. Now i know most of you are like yeah, yeah all girls ogle at weddings as its what every twenty-ish lady is looking forward to[feminist, u could exclude yourselves if you like,you independent ladies]. Well for me its about the dazzle, the smiles,the kiss at the church.....yeah that reminds me "abeg make couples no dey form shy when dey talk kiss your bride, hmmm hold partner kiss am wella let your bride's leg pop! *big grin*",the food,sometimes the music i could go on and on... Anyway we would talk about my taste in music and food some other time.
Today am here with a question i know most girls......[ok we are in Nigeria] some girls ponder about and that is the question of TO KNEEL OR NOT TO KNEEL at the wedding reception when asked to feed your beloved in the presence of family and oglers? If am to answer this I will say I do not think it is a necessary act in fact, I don't think i should kneel down to feed him in the presence of people when I know I wouldn't do it thereafter; to me it seems a bit hypocritical. I know some of you will say am taking the simple act of courtesy too far but well that's my opinion. Some of the people I had this conversation with had a different opinion though, some thought what the heck? he knelt down during the proposal and it's a one day thing they will do it and let it go. While others believe strongly that the bride should kneel down as a sign of submission and humility. So now am thinking could it be that, that singular act holds a message of submission and my friend Omo who knelt down last saturday at her wedding is now humble and would no longer insult kunle at the slightest chance? Hmmmm OGA O! Anyway as for my future hubby, baby ama sit on your lap and we shall share the cake with a kiss *wink* and live in marital bliss which is all that truly counts.......................kisses! songs of solomon 8:7 many waters cannot quench love;rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it will be utterly scorned. I totally love this verse*,

16 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the writer. Don't intend to kneel on that day especially as I don't intend to continue. Besides, kisses with cake is much more fun*wink....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i see kneeling to feed as i see knelling to propose, both as traditions, but then not all traditions are kept. from the weddings i hav attended recently, d bride sat across the groom's laps and fed him.... i'm guessing those who believe strongly about it being a sign of submission are definately guys......mtchewwww, they shuld be ready to prostrate whyl proposing afterall both kneeling n prostrating acts last but a few secs.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm kul wit tradition but if 4 wateva reason I want to do it differently den it wud be wit a smile on my face.Its all about my happiness.All d rest na ceremoni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dnt knw bout the rest of u but I bliv we shud b submissive to our husbandz, afterall, it sayz so in d bible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ anonymous 11:39 who says kneeling down garantees submission will you kneel down in ur house? Abeg e!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I agree with dis,cos kneeling for a man u call ur husband anywere,is not a big deal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ anonymous 11:46... I knw ur a guy oh, b fooling urslf der

      Delete
  6. Plz writer dnt tanish pplz beliefz..... I plan to knelt down on my wedding day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok...I hardly attend weddings. I shall try 2 b present @ mine. I knw dt d bride's sposd 2 kneel @ some point @ trad weddings, bt @ white weddn receptions too? Dts jst wrong. Y're we trying 2 incoporate african trads in2 a ceremony we're borrowing? D one wey I don kneel 4 trad weddn no do? In my elegant wedding gown? Its a matter of choice mehn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm, i dont really care about what it signifies oh. I see it as just a ritual with no big deal to it. One till i know for sure is that kneeling to feed your hubby at d marriage ceremony is no yardstick for measuring submissiveness. Plus for people marrying into cultures that carry the whole respect thing on their shoulders, the yorubas for instance, you might as well just kneel to feed their egos and let everyone be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ anonymous girl,everybody has his/her opinion on this matter,if u don't want to kneel for ur husband on ur wedding day,I sorry for the man....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ anonymous boy, I sorry 4 ur wife

    ReplyDelete
  11. It ain't compulsory to kneel jorey. All that ish is culture based. And by the way, we're the new generation and we have a right to a new culture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i believe that even if the tradition is kneeling down, anyone can be an exceptioni do it their own way because it is the happiness that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kneel down oh, lie down oh, sit on laps oh, hang in d air oh, ......sweetheart, nothing else counts as long as I'm married to my heartthrob.
    We shall do as d spirit leads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you know I even attended one wedding, where d groom knelt to feed his wife as well?
    Everybody for crowd halla, but then... I guess he was overwhelmed by love ...and love is all dat matters.

    ReplyDelete